This year marks the 25th anniversary of Bournemouth based simulation specialist Micro Nav Ltd. The company looks back on an unbroken track record of developing, delivering and supporting Air Traffic Control simulation and training systems to over 25 countries and for more than 60 users around the world, including major civil and military authorities.
Mike Male and Fred Johnson founded the company in 1988. They are both experienced controllers and pilots with a rare combination of simulation, training and software skills. Their expertise and customer rapport were major factors in the success of FIRST – the original family of simulators. They are still key members of the team continuing to grow the company and innovate new products.
“Since 1988 our company has grown from two ATCOs developing an Air Traffic Control simulator to an award-winning simulation company with a world-wide customer base” says founder Fred Johnson. “Over the past 25 years we have grown in many ways and I feel proud to have supported our ATM community over these years and I look forward to a continuing contribution in the future”.
Looking back at Micro Nav’s start in 1988 many milestones can be highlighted:
- 1988 FIRST (Flexible Independent Radar Skills Trainer) The first generation of ATC simulators that became one of the world’s leading products. Sold under an exclusive licence by Hughes Aircraft Company.
- 1998 launch of BEST (Beginning to End for Simulation and Training) the next generation of ATC simulators. Even today, BEST continues to pioneer new software techniques and to exploit the dramatic advances in PC technologies to deliver new levels of affordability, versatility and realism.
- 2007 launch of the FAST AIRPORT BUILDER (FAB), a unique 3D visual software suite that enhances the fast-time simulation capabilities of BEST to deliver the capabilities of designing, evaluating and testing airport operations.
- 2010 launch of the Airside Driver Trainer (ADT), a simulator providing a safe, versatile and dynamic ‘hands-on’ learning environment for airport driver training.
- 2010 Micro Nav wins the UK’s most prestigious award for business performance; the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the category of International Trade and is placed on The Sunday times Microsoft Tech Track 100 league table.
- 2011 Micro Nav is placed on The Sunday Times HSBC International Track 100 league table.
- 2012 Micro Nav joins the Quadrant Group of Companies ensuring a more robust and stable future.
Mike Male, founder and Managing Director says “We at Micro Nav would like to thank our loyal customer base, both old and new. We believe that our friendly approach, our flexibility in being able to provide a bespoke solution for each of our customers and the continuous efforts to improve our product has resulted in such a large and diverse customer base. We look forward to working with you over the next 25 years.”
Micro Nav will be exhibiting at ATC Global 12-14th March on stand D308 at ATC Global, Amsterdam.