Passenger growth trend continues in the first half of 2013

- Brussels, Belgium
In the first six months of 2013, passenger numbers of the Association of European Airlines’ (AEA) members increased by 2.9 million, a growth of 1.7% compared to the results of last year. Long-haul passenger traffic to and from Europe increased by 3%, while international short- and medium haul traffic (intra-Europe, Middle-East and North-Africa) posted 3.2% growth.
European airlines are constantly confronted with challenges that jeopardise their profitability. 2013 is a crucial year for our members to overcome these challenges with the implemented cost-cuttings, capacity adjustments and revenue improvements.
Airlines once again exercised considerable capacity constraint. With total scheduled available seat-kilometres growing by just 1.2%, less than half than the rate of RPK traffic growth, resulting in record-high passenger load factors, up by 1.2 % points to 78.8%.
Cargo products carried both on all-cargo aircraft and in passenger aircraft belly space account for 10% of the total commercial revenue of European network carriers. Air freight activity is facing serious challenges: it is still posting negative performance with a decline of 0.2% but more recent monthly trend is showing signs of improvement.
Europe’s network airlines play a vital economic role. They provide reliable business connectivity and support four times as many local jobs as non-European airlines.With European Parliamentary elections due in 2014, along with a new College of Commissioners, 2013 will be the last full year in which the present policy-makers can leave a lasting legacy.  AEA will continue to stress to European policy-makers the need to facilitate the growth and competitiveness of European airlines” said Mr Athar Husain Khan, acting Secretary General of AEA.
Passenger numbers ('000) International short/medium haul93,79096,792+3.2%Total longhaul35,84136,916+3.0%Total scheduled173,142176,086+1.7% Available seat-kilometres (million) International short/medium haul158,327161,177+1.8%Total longhaul330,337335,622+1.6%Total scheduled523,038529,314+1.2 % Revenue passenger kilometres (million) International short/medium haul113,334118,434+4.5%Total longhaul269,248275,979+2.5%Total scheduled406,117417,083+2.7% Passenger load factor International short/medium haul71.6%73.5%+1.9 pptTotal longhaul81.5%82.2%+0.7 pptTotal scheduled77.6%78.7%+1.2 ppt Total freight tonne kilometres (million) International short/medium haul1,0091,010+0.1%Total longhaul15,06915,054-0.1%Total scheduled16,12416,092-0.2%
AEA has recently released its annual S.T.A.R. (Summary of Traffic and Annual Results) report. S.T.A.R. is an unrivalled source of AEA member airlines’ data and an essential resource for researchers, analysts and planners, with a wealth of passenger and cargo data by airline and by region as well as aggregate yield revenue information. Researchers, analysts and planners can get a free sample and order a copy by going to our website.
  • Join our community for FREE today!

  • Create and share your own profile

  • Join the discussions

  • Publish your own items

  • Subscription to our Weekly eNewsletter

your benefits?

Get connected with ATC Professionals Worldwide

Create your account

Sign in with LinkedIn Close

FREE membership benefits

  • * create and share your own profile
  • * join the discussions
  • * publish your own items on ATC Networkmanage news, jobs, tenders, companies, events, showcases, educations, associations and literature.
  • * subscribe to our weekly eNewsletter
Add news yourself

Comments

There are no comments yet for this item

Join the discussion

You can only add a comment when you are logged in. Click here to login