The General Directorate for Civil Aviation (DGAC, Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil) is a nation-wide line agency that exercises civil aviation authority in Peru and is in charge of promoting, regulating and managing air transport activities, as well as civil aviation activities within our territory.
Furthermore, the DGAC leads the process to manage Civil Aviation in a comprehensive manner, subject to Peruvian aeronautical law, annexes and documents of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), as well as the Peruvian Aviation Regulations (RAP, by its Spanish initials), in order to establish itself as a solid organization that contributes to the development of the country’s civil aviation industry as means for developing other economic activities.
The DGAC has the following functions:
- Proposing and carrying out the sector’s policies in matters related to civil aviation.
- Participating in the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of the sector’s development plans related to civil aviation.
- Proposing and/or approving legal, technical and/or administrative regulations within its scope of responsibility.
- Formulating and approving the National Civil Aviation Plan, as well as the technical and operational plans.
- Regulating and approving, as appropriate, all procedures, rules and other methods applied to air traffic services.
- Carrying out the national aviation policy, as well as negotiating and signing agreements related to aeronautics, in technical and commercial matters.
- Suggesting the adoption of air transport policies according to international agreements and national interests.
- Supervising and sanctioning non-compliance with standards regulating civil aviation activities, the Aviation Security Service (AVSEC) and other activities linked to the aeronautics field.
- Granting, amending, suspending and revoking the administrative and technical authorizations to perform civil aviation activities.
- Suspending civil aviation activities when they fail to fulfill minimum operating security standards.
- Performing facilitation activities, according to its competence, in coordination with the National Facilitation Committee.
- Performing and/or supervising studies for the construction, improvement, expansion and modernization of airports and/or aerodromes, within its scope of responsibility.
- Cooperating with investigations of aviation accidents conducted by the Aircraft Accident Investigation Committee (CIAA, by its Spanish initials).
- Arranging and signing agreements related to aeronautics, in technical or commercial aviation matters.
- Proposing, in coordination with relevant bodies, to the Peruvian representatives before international authorities, and before the Latin American Civil Aviation Commission (CLAC, by its Spanish initials), the International Civil Aviation Organization (OACI, by its Spanish initials), a Rotation Agreement before OACI and other international bodies with similar competence.
- Approving the airports’ master plans.
- Approving the General Directorate’s annual procurement plan for goods and services.
- Signing both national and international cooperation agreements and technical assistance agreements related to aeronautics.
- Participating in the Ministry’s budgetary process in matters regarding the General Directorate, in coordination with the General Bureau for Planning and Budgets.
- Managing, executing and assessing the budget allocated to the execution of its management activities.
The DGAC consists of the following directorates:
- Directorate for Certifications and Authorizations.
- Directorate for Aeronautics Security.
- Directorate for Regulations and Promotion