GCAA - Gambia
PO Box: 285
Banjul International Airport
Tel +220 4472831
Fax +220 4472190www.gcaa.aero
Mission statement: “to provide the best airport and air navigation facilities in the sub-region and regulate air transport to international standards while generating reasonable return on investments”
The Gambia Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) was established by the Government of The Gambia as an autonomous body in July 1991 (under the Public Enterprise Act of 1989) to give effect to the Chicago Convention and to monitor and regulate the aviation industry in The Gambia to acceptable International Standards. In addition to its traditional role of regulating and managing the aviation industry for the facilitation of safe, regular and efficient air transportation in the Gambia, the GCAA is also entrusted with the management of Banjul International Airport (BIA) which includes among other things to ensure the provision and maintenance of the required infrastructure and facilities as per user demand.
The Authority took over the functions of the defunct Department of Civil Aviation of the Gambia and now enjoys the status of autonomous body like other public enterprises reporting to the Department of State for Works, Construction and Infrastructure through the Authority’s Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors of the Authority is made up of 7 members consisting of appointed and Ex-officio Directors. The Ex-officio members of the Board are:
- Permanent Secretary, Department of State for Works, Construction and Infrastructure, (the line Department of State);
- Permanent Secretary, Department of State for Finance and Economic Affairs; and
- The Director General of the Authority.
Three of the remaining members are appointed by the President of the Republic of the Gambia on the recommendation of the Secretary of State for Works, Construction and Infrastructure in consultation with the Public Service Commission. The seventh member of the Board, who serves as the GCAA Staff Representative, is appointed through a secret ballot system every two years.
The management of the Authority is headed by a Director General who is assisted by a Deputy Director General and six constituent Directors, each heading a department; namely:
- DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING: The Department of Engineering is composed of four sections: Electrical, Electronics, Civil and Mechanical Engineering. The Department is responsible for the proper functioning and maintenance of all engineering equipment, aids, systems and networks of GCAA within the B.I.A and other annexed sites where such are installed. One of the priority areas of this Department is to ensure the provision and maintenance of all engineering related equipment and services to our valued customers in accordance with internally recognized standards, thereby ensuring safe, fast and efficient air transportation.
- DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE: The responsibilities of the Finance Department range from the management of the Authority’s financial resources to planning and investment appraisals. It is also responsible for putting in place control mechanisms to suit the changing financial, economical, political, and management strategies of the world so as to maintain the Authority as a stable and competitive institution.
- DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION: The Human Resources and Administration Department is responsible for all personnel and administrative matters of the Authority, including the recruitment of qualified candidates. Its primary function is to increase efficiency and effectiveness through improved personnel management practices. As the department dealing with the skills, creative abilities, talents and aptitudes of the Authority’s human resources, the Human Resources and Administration Department ensures that there are appropriate, suitable and well spelt out policies and procedures guiding the activities of every staff member at all times.
- DEPARTMENT OF AIRPORT OPERATIONS AND PLANNING: This Department is responsible for the functional operation of B.I.A, key amongst which is the provision of a smooth, efficient and effective airport operation system for all airport users. This includes the provision of services as per international standards in areas such as: fire fighting, air traffic control, strict and adequate airport security, aeronautical communications and aeronautical information services and the provision of data essential for the Authority’s management information system.
- DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE: This Department is responsible for the maximum exploitation of the commercial potentials of the GCAA, and that of B.I.A in particular, with a view to expanding the revenue base of the organization through improvement on under-tapped revenue sources and the identification and activation of untapped revenue sources. In addition, the department develops and plays a leading role in the marketing of B.I.A as a potentially attractive destination for airlines. It is also charged with the revenue collection in aeronautical activities and to appraise investments in non-aeronautical activities.
- DEPARTMENT OF FLIGHT SAFETY STANDARDS: This Department is the regulatory arm of the Authority. It thus regulates and controls civil aviation activities in The Gambia in order to give effect to the Chicago Convention and its technical Annexes. Its main functions are centered on fulfilling the Safety Oversight responsibilities of the Gambia as an ICAO contracting state, and these cover:
1. Licensing of personnel
2. Certification of Airlines
3. Registration and continued surveillance of aircraft
4. Continued safety oversight surveillance of airlines in the areas of flight operations and airworthiness.
5. Licensing/certification of aerodromes and ground aids
6. Air transport legislation
Apart from the departments mentioned above, the following units/offices are categorized under the office of the Director General;
- Public Relations;
- Information, Communication &Technology;
- Quality Control; and
- Internal Audit.